ThermaX™ PEI 3D Filament, Made using ULTEM™ 9085 PEI
This Item is the black variant of 3DXTech ThermaX PEI Ultem 9085.
We manufacture this ultra-performance 3D printing filament using ULTEM™ 9085 PEI (polyether imide) resin. Filaments made from ULTEM™ 9085 resin offers the ability to create parts with excellent properties at elevated temperatures due to a high glass transition temperature (Tg) of 186°C. PEI is an amorphous, high-performance polymer that combines excellent thermal properties, exceptional dimensional stability, inherent flame retardancy, and good chemical resistance.
Product attributes include:
- High thermal properties; (Tg) of 186°C
- Inherent flame resistance with low smoke evolution and low smoke toxicity
- Long-term hydrolytic stability
- Excellent dimensional stability (low creep sensitivity and low, uniform coefficient of thermal expansion) and highly reproducible part-to-part dimensions
- Exceptional strength and modulus, even at elevated temperatures
- Good resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as automotive fluids, fully halogenated hydrocarbons, alcohols, and aqueous solutions
- Stable dielectric constant and dissipation factor over a wide range of temperatures and frequencies
Typical Application Spaces for ULTEM™ PEI:
Aerospace: The excellent balance of flame retardancy, low smoke emission, and low smoke toxicity of ULTEM™ 9085 makes it an excellent candidate for aerospace and aircraft applications. ULTEM™ 9085 meets FAR 25.853 and OSU 65/65 with low toxicity, smoke and flame evolution. Ultem™ resins are found in applications, such as personal service units, oxygen panels and components, ventilation system components, connectors, cable ducts, latches, hinges, food tray containers, door handles, and interior cladding parts.
Automotive / Transportation: Ultem™ resins provide automotive manufacturers with a high performance, chemically resistant, thermally-stable, cost-effective alternative to metal that is strong enough to replace steel in some applications and light enough to replace aluminum in others. For applications like transmission components, throttle bodies, ignition components, sensors and thermostat housings,
Electrical / Electronics: ULTEM™ resin may be an excellent material choice for today’s demanding electrical applications, including connectors, MCB components like housings, shafts and levers, hard disk drive internals, FOUP’s, BiTS, PCB’s, MCCB internals, Plenum devices, LCD projector internals, fuel cell components and many other applications.
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Colors: Natural (Light Tan) and Black
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder Temp: 350 - 380°C (all-metal extruder)
- Bed Temp: 140 - 160°C
- Bed Prep: PEI Tape, Polyimide Tape, Lightly sanded FR4 or Perf board.
- Other: No cooling fan, Print speeds of 1000mm/min (starting point)
Annealing Printed Parts: If needed, parts printed using ULTEM™ may be annealed in a hot-air oven to reduce any printed-in stresses that may be present in the part. Printed-in stresses may occur in any plastic and may result in lower than expected mechanical properties. If this is an issue with your part, then you can follow the simple 5-step ramp up/down process for annealing the ULTEM™ parts.
Step 1: Place printed parts in cool, room-temp oven.
Step 2. Set temp to 250°F and allow to stabilize for 1 hour.
Step 3: After 1 hour at 250°F, increase oven temp to 300°F and allow to stabilize 1 additional hour.
Step 4: After 1 hour at 300°F, reduce heat back to 200°F and allow to stabilize for 30 minutes.
Step 5: After 30 minutes, turn off oven heat and allow printed parts to return to room temp inside the oven as it cools.
ULTEM™ is a registered trademark of Sabic Innovative Plastics.
3DXTECH manufactures this filament using ULTEM™ 9085 PEI resin.